Tuesday, December 11, 2018   Login
You are here: Forums » Forums  
How did God speak to you through Justin Chang's 7/29/2012 message, "Choosing Wisely"?
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
Author Messages
CCC Consistory
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
7/30/2012 05:18 PM QuoteQuote ReplyReply

Choosing Wisely
July 29, 2012
Justin Chang

Scripture Lesson -- 1 John 2:12-17
Reasons for Writing
12 I am writing to you, dear children,
because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name.
13 I am writing to you, fathers,
because you know him who is from the beginning.
I am writing to you, young men,
because you have overcome the evil one.
14 I write to you, dear children,
because you know the Father.
I write to you, fathers,
I write to you, young men,
because you are strong,
and the word of God lives in you,
and you have overcome the evil one.
On Not Loving the World
15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father[a] is not in them. 16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. 17 The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.
CCC Consistory
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
7/30/2012 05:27 PM QuoteQuote ReplyReply

Choosing Wisely
July 29, 2012
Justin Chang

Scripture Lesson -- 1 John 2:12-17
Reasons for Writing
12 I am writing to you, dear children,
because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name.
13 I am writing to you, fathers,
I am writing to you, young men,
because you have overcome the evil one.
14 I write to you, dear children,
because you know the Father.
I write to you, fathers,
I write to you, young men,
because you are strong,
and the word of God lives in you,
and you have overcome the evil one.
On Not Loving the World
15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father[a] is not in them. 16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. 17 The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.

Love is about a relationship
Who you (choose to) love is who you will serve!
                Love the world --> serve idol (self)
                Love the Father --> serve God (serving others)

Love is also a choice
15 But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”   -- Joshua 24:15

Love is not a one-time thing
17 If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. 18 But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up. ” -- Daniel 3:17-18

Love is a commitment
                It’s not easy (1 John 2:14-15)
                “Be strong and courageous” mentioned 24 times in the Old Testament
7 “Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go.  -- Joshua 1:7
Choices: Choose and commit to love/to know God
Application:
* Join a Bible study group
* Attend prayer meetings
* Read books such as “knowing God”
* Go through doctrinal book
* Seek more mature brother/sister – be disciple
* Disciple someone (your family)
Warning: Love the Creator, not the creation
Choices: check your emotions/heart issue
9 The heart is deceitful above all things
and beyond cure.
Who can understand it?
10 “I the Lord search the heart
and examine the mind,
to reward each person according to their conduct,
according to what their deeds deserve.”
- Jeremiah 17:9-10
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
7 Do not be wise in your own eyes;
fear the Lord and shun evil.
8 This will bring health to your body
and nourishment to your bones.
- Proverbs 3:5-8
Application:
* Is it an “idol”? Worshipping creation rather than Creator
* Ask for advice from Pastor, spiritually mature brother/sister
* Asking why?
* Does it feel like a personal sacrifice? (probably a good choice)
Choice: Have eternal perspective
13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you.
-          Philippians 3:13-15
Application: 
* Ask: choice you making helping God’s Kingdom or your own
* Ask: where does God want me to invest? (not what, but who)
* Ask: how long will this choice give me happiness or joy?
Suggestions for choosing wise investments:
* Teaching; disciple someone; choosing to be discipled
* Volunteering at the church or community services
* Make a vacation into a short term missions trip instead
Are you making the same decisions you were before you were a Christian?
* How are you investing your money?
* Do you give more or less to the needy?
* Are you investing more in people versus things?

Quick Reply
toggle
  Username:
Subject:
Body:
Security Code:
Enter the code shown above:

Submit
Active Forums 4.1
Recent Forum Postings
Worship Set for December 09, 2018, Joy To The World; O Come, O Come, Emmanuel; Hark! The Herald Angels Sing; What Child Is This?; Angel... Posted by Admin, 12/10/2018 04:08 PM

How did God speak to you through Pastor Louis December 09 sermon entitled, Let's All Submit To The Son! (Part 2), 14.00 Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE ... Posted by Admin, 12/06/2018 04:21 PM

RE: How did God speak to you through Pastor Louis December 02 sermon entitled, Let's All Submit To The Son!, Lets All Submit To The Son! (Psalm 2) (12/2/18)   Most likely Psalm 2 was written by King Da... Posted by Admin, 12/03/2018 05:35 PM

Worship Set for December 02, 2018, Joy To The World; O Come, O Come, Emmanuel; Mighty To Save; O Come Let Us Adore Him; Emman... Posted by Admin, 12/03/2018 05:21 PM

Worship Set for November 25, 2018, 10,000 Reasons; In The Garden; Hosanna Praise Is Rising; The Joy Of The Lord; Thank You Lord; We Wil... Posted by Admin, 11/26/2018 04:19 PM

How did God speak to you through Ed Law November 25 sermon entitled, The Redeemer Of The World, 14.00 Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE ... Posted by Admin, 11/21/2018 04:43 PM

Worship Set for November 18, 2018, Great Is The Lord; Forever; Above All; Come Let Us Worship And Bow Down; 10,000 Reasons (Bless The L... Posted by Admin, 11/19/2018 05:16 PM

RE: How did God speak to you through Pastor Louis November 18 sermon entitled, Give Thanks To Him!, Give Thanks To Him! (11/18/18)   "A psalm. For giving thanks. Shout for joy to the LORD, al... Posted by Admin, 11/19/2018 05:12 PM

RE: How did God speak to you through Pastor Louis November 11 sermon entitled, The Ultimate Feast!, The Ultimate Feast! (11/11/18)   "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemie... Posted by Admin, 11/13/2018 03:57 PM

Worship Set for November 11, 2018, This is Amazing Grace; The Wonderful Cross; Who Am I; What A Beautiful Name; Who You Say I Am; Doxol... Posted by Admin, 11/13/2018 03:54 PM

RE: How did God speak to you through Pastor Louis November 04 sermon entitled, What Do I Fear?, 14.00 Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE ... Posted by Admin, 11/05/2018 05:13 PM

Worship Set for November 04, 2018, Hallelujah Your Love Makes Me Sing; Come Christians Join To Sing; Lord I Lift Your Name On High... Posted by Admin, 11/05/2018 05:01 PM

Worship Set for October 28, 2018, Jesus Messiah; Open The Eyes Of My Heart; Cornerstone; Good Good Father; 10,000 Reasons; Doxology; I... Posted by Admin, 10/29/2018 06:09 PM

RE: How did God speak to you through Pastor Louis October 28 sermon entitled, What Is The Meaning Of Baptism?, What Is The Meaning Of Baptism? (10/28/18)     I.   Baptism is part of the "... Posted by Admin, 10/29/2018 05:59 PM

Worship Set for October 21, 2018, Come Just As You Are; All The People Said Amen; How Great Thou Art; Glorify Thy Name; God You Reign;... Posted by Admin, 10/23/2018 02:21 PM

How did God speak to you through Ed Law October 21 sermon entitled, The Savior of the World, 14.00 Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE ... Posted by Admin, 10/18/2018 03:51 PM

RE: How did God speak to you through Pastor Louis October 14 sermon entitled, The Lord Is My Shepherd: Part 3, The Lord Is My Shepherd: Part 3 (10/14/18)   "The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. (2) ... Posted by Admin, 10/18/2018 02:04 PM

Worship Set for October 14, 2018, Psalm 19; Bind Us Together; Unashamed; You Are My King; Here I Am Lord; Doxology; All Creation Worsh... Posted by Admin, 10/16/2018 05:27 PM

Worship Set for October 07, 2018, Who You Say I Am; Hosanna (Praise Is Rising); What a Beautiful Name; Lord I Need You; Come... Posted by Admin, 10/08/2018 04:49 PM

How did God speak to you through Pastor Louis October 07 sermon entitled, The Lord Is My Shepherd: Part 2, 14.00 Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE ... Posted by Admin, 10/04/2018 05:51 PM

Home  |  Programs  |  Forums  |  About Us
Copyright 2012 by Chinese Community Church   |  Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use