How To Be A Good Sport!
(“The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly!”)
I. The “Good” of sports.
A. Sports can be an effective tool for ____________.
“I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.” (1 Corinthians 9:22b)
B. Sports can be a helpful means of spending time with others.
C. Sports can help develop Christlike ____________ (Rom. 8:29).
- how we handle defeat? Victory? (“Fab-Five at Univ of Mich)
- team sports vs individual sports
- patience, self-control, discipline, etc
- compassion, sensitivity to others? Win by losing?
II. The “Bad” of sports.
A. “Winning isn’t everything . . . It’s the only thing!”
B. Sports can ____________ us from more important things.
- Our relationship with God?
- Our relationship with others?
- Our responsibilities of school, work, ministry?
C. How can we ____________ if sports are becoming too important to us?
- bad mood if our team loses.
- overall investment of our time, treasures, talents (Matt. 6:33).
(is it always wrong to miss church for sports?? Yes and no!)
III. The “Ugly” of sports.
A. Self-righteous subtle glorification of ____________ as idol.
(“winning glorifies God more than losing?” No!)
B. Self-righteous ____________ from non-sports people.
“13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother’s way.” (Romans 14:13)