History of Chinese Community Church
Our forefathers began the ministry of the present-day church in 1924. They established the Kwai Wah Language School in a converted residence on 5th and P Streets in Sacramento to provide education for future generations of American-born Chinese. They also created the Kwai Wah Marching Band, the first of its kind in the Chinese community. In the late 1920s, the church moved to 519 N Street in the heart of the Chinese community.
In 1939, a severe storm damaged the church, and it had to be razed. With the help of the Reformed Church in America (RCA), a two-story building was put up. The church continued to thrive until the mid 1940s. After the City lifted restrictions on where Asians could buy residential property, many Chinese moved to the suburbs. For several years, the church struggled to rebuild its congregational base. In 1951, again with the help of the RCA, the church located to its current site and built the sanctuary and education building.
View CCC’s 100th Anniversary Booklet, “Reflections of a Grateful Community”
Timeline
1920 – Wai Shing Kwok, a missionary from China, immigrates to America, settling down in Stockton, CA
1924 – Fong Sik, Chan Tai Oy, and Fong Bun Wall establish the Kwai Wah Chinese Language School on P Street between 4th and 5th Streets in Downtown Sacramento. They recruit Wai Shing Kwok to teach Chinese and conduct church services.
1926 – The Kwai Wah School purchases and renovates a house at 519 N Street to establish the Chinese Church of Christ. Fong Sik, Fong Sheu Sing, and Fong Jong are the founding elders.
Mid-1930s – The Kwai Wah Marching Band is formed.
1938 – A winter storm severely damages the church building and it had to be razed.
1940 – Chinese Church of Christ joins the Reformed Church of America (RCA) denomination.
1941 – A new two-story church building is built from funding provided by the RCA and donations from the community.
1945 – The Kwai Wah School ceases operations due to the disruption of WW II.
1949 – Rev. Wai Shing Kwok retires.
1954 – The church changes its name to Chinese Community Church. The Redevelopment Program of the City of Sacramento forces CCC to sell its property to make way for the development of Downtown.
1956 – The RCA provides funding to relocate CCC to its present-day 5600 Gilgunn Way.
1959 – Groundbreaking for the new church takes place on February 1. A new church is built for a cost of $93,000. Rev. Gilbert Lum conducts the first service in the new sanctuary on September 27.
1969 – The Joong Project starts in the home of Ellen Kwong.
1974 – Chinese Community Church celebrates its 50th Anniversary.
1979 – CCC holds its first all-church retreat at Zephyr Cove, Lake Tahoe.
1981 – First Annual CCC Cultural and Food Festival.
1989 – Eddie and Yvonne Fong start the CCC Basketball Program.
1999 – Chinese Community Church celebrates its 75th Anniversary. Rev. Dr. Virstan Choy returned and gave a sermon on, “Remembering Our Past, Recalling Our Future.”
2007 – CCC dedicates new building with fellowship hall, gym, classrooms, and kitchen. Vacation Bible School starts at the urging of Lorrie Kimura. Karri Yee and Mei Fong have led the program ever since.
2010 – Ted Fong and Shirley Stassi start the Ukulele and Hula Fellowship in September.
2019 – Pastor Louis retires after ten years of ministry at CCC.
2020 – In March, State of California orders people to shelter-in-place due to COVID 19. CCC moves church services online.
2021 – In February, Don and Joey Lee start the Senior Meals Program for isolated seniors.
2022 – In October, Patty Fong starts the CCC Pickleball Fellowship.
2023 – Chinese Community Church joins the Alliance of Reformed Churches (ARC).
2024 – Chinese Community Church celebrates is 100th anniversary.